Urticaria (also known as hives, welts or nettle rash) is a raised, itchy rash that appears on the skin. The rash can be limited to one part of the body or spread across large areas of the body.
The affected area of skin will typically change within 24 hours, and usually the rash will settle within a few days. If it clears completely within six weeks, it is known as acute urticaria.
FAQs about Skin Allergy
1. What is Urticaria?Urticaria is a kind of skin rash with red, raised and itchy bumps. They may also burn or sting. They are also called Hives.
Urticaria may be of two types :
Episodes of Acute Urticaria are common. It can be defined as type 1 hypersensitivity reactions to certain foods and drugs. In up to 50% of cases a cause is not identified. The possible Causes are:
● Idiopathic origin
● Food: fruits (for example, strawberries), seafood, nuts, dairy products, spices, tea, chocolate
● Drugs: antibiotics (for example penicillin) and sulphonamides, aspirin and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, morphine and codeine
● Viral infections and febrile illnesses
● Radio contrast media
● Wasp or bee stings
Chronic Urticaria is conventionally defined as the occurrence of daily widespread itchy weal for at least six weeks. It occurs in at least 0.1% of the population and is much more troublesome than acute urticaria. The serious disability of patients with chronic urticaria includes loss of sleep and energy, social isolation, altered emotional reactions, and difficulties in aspects of daily living. Currently, the concept has evolved that the disease might be autoimmune in origin at least for a certain population of patients.
2. What is the duration of treatment for Urticaria?The causative factors may not be necessarily based into the skin region and may be associated with disorder of internal organs. It is, 'the nature of the problem' that calls in for the strategy of the treatment. On examination by the concerned Doctor and on case taking these details are given to you as a routine procedure, duration of treatment varies from person to person, it may take 3 to 6 months time to notice improvements.
3. What do you do in Holistic treatment for Urticaria?Holistic care means the care for the whole person that is his mind, body and spirit and not the disease/ problem/ symptoms alone. Holistic system believes that the whole person is made up of independent parts and if one part is not working properly, all the other parts will be affected. In this way, if people have imbalances physical, mental, emotional or spiritual in their lives it can negatively affect their overall skin and hair. Holistic treatment would thus not only remove the symptoms along with the underlying cause of your problem / disease but would then also maintain your overall well being. To attain the Holistic Wellness the doctors at Valeda have envisaged the easy path that constitutes a Procedure Plan and a Product Plan. The Procedure Plan shall include the Constitutional Diet and Constitutional Homoeopathic Medicines along with Divine Detoxification and Relaxation. The Product Plan includes selected external applications for management of problem symptoms.
Holistic treatment at Valeda is practiced in partnership of doctors with their patients. We shall holistically diagnose the root causative factors of your problem and if need be then also by latest scientific modalities. The cause may not necessarily be into the problem area. It can be some other functional organ of the body. The cause may or may not be medically significant. The causative factors will decide the treatment strategy. Treatments at Valeda Wellness Centers include oral Homoeopathic remedies supported by external applications.
4. Can you suggest me some home care tips for Urticaria?●U se mild, fragrance-free soap.
● Avoid hot water.
● Limit baths and showers to 10 minutes.
● Moisturize right after you bathe.
● Use a humidifier.
● Wear loose and 100% cotton clothes.
● Use Valeda Aloevera Moisturizing toner.
5. How much will the treatment cost?Treatment cost will depend on the procedures recommended by the doctor taking the consultation. Recommended procedures depend on the nature of the problem and certain individual factors. Cost of some of the treatments & procedures for reference is mentioned in the following table:
Causes:Urticaria happens when a trigger causes high levels of histamine and other chemical messengers to be released in the skin.
These substances cause the blood vessels in the affected area of skin to open up (often causing redness or pinkness) and become leaky. This extra fluid in the tissues causes swelling and sometimes itchiness.
Histamine is released for a wide range of reasons, including:● An allergic reaction to substances
● Exposure to cold or heat
● The direct effect of certain chemicals which can be found in some types of food and medications, such as Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID).
Why Valeda? How are treatments at Valeda different from any conventional mode?
Basis of treatment at ValedaThe basis of treatment at Valeda is treating the problem through Holistic Modes. A complete judicious program is required for the same.
The problem is not just external, there are many other causative factors in some other internal areas which are thoroughly analyzed during your consultation before starting the treatment.
The causative factors may not be necessarily based into the affected region and may be associated with disorders of internal organs.
It is, 'the nature of the problem' that calls in for the strategy of the treatment which may include internal remedies supported by external modalities like:- localized immune-enhancer activities to affected region i.e. acupuncture, applications of products with certified organic herbs, modernized cosmetology and procedures based on ancient principles as mentioned in classical text including Constitutional diet & Yoga. On examination by the concerned Doctor and on case taking these details are given to you as a routine procedure.